Tuesday 26 April 2011

Public Speaking at The People's Choice Awards Night

Hey, guess what guys...

The People's Choice is coming this Thursday!

And y'all know what that means, don't you?

It means it's your chance to read your work in front of a supportive and awesome crowd.

And for any writer, emerging or otherwise, that is pretty fantastic opportunity!

And also, if you need any more encouragement, there is monetary prizes. Money! Money!!

I remember my first time reading my work out (in a non-schooling way).

I wrote about it on my blog here and for a photo here, but essentially I entered a competition with Voiceworks/Express Media to read work out loud - either your own or someone else's (ie, perhaps a passage from your favourite book).

I read two of my own pieces and came third (hazzar!).

Basically, kids, we have three spots left:
Two for Poetry
One for Prose

I know it's short notice but as a writer, you really have to take risks - so go for it!

I shall be there, and really, what's better than that!! :p

For the nervous types, here are some excellent public speaking tips for writers:
  • Well, this first tip isn't really for public speaking but one of my favourite bloggers (and a New York Times book list author!!) Kiersten White has posted part one of her first keynote speech, about becoming a better write
  • Tips for those writers/authors being forced into public speaking (okay, we're not quite at the point of forcing people yet but there's some really good tips here!)
  • Here's a YouTube video on the subject: now I must confess that I haven't actually watched the video as we're over the download limit at home (sigh share house with housemates using the Internet up!) but according to the description it looks helpful! Someone tell me if it is?

To apply, see the instructions on the WLF website.

Hope to see - and hear! - you there!

1 comment:

  1. Dear WLF Blogger, thanks for the link to Kiersten White's tips on public speaking. Very very useful!
    I was thinking: poetry is really everywhere isn't it? An English writer of musicals is doing a musical on - wait for it - Collingwood! She went to the game on Anzac Day yesterday and wrote a moving poem about it in today's Herald Sun.
    Loved it...might even read it out on Thursday!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete